Chair: Pierpaolo Aymar, Sonoma County Department of Agriculture/Weights & Measures
Secretary: Anna Dirkse, Marin County Department of Agriculture/Weights & Measures
General contact: Pierpaolo Aymar at (707) 565-2371 or by email at
firstname.lastname@example.org and ADirkse@marincounty.org
The Marin/Sonoma Weed Management Area group includes representatives from federal, state, county and city agencies, private industry, and landowners. MSWMA’s goals include improving the effectiveness of local weed management efforts, increasing public awareness of invasive weeds, advancing responsible land stewardship practices, and working collaboratively with partner organizations by sharing resources and knowledge to manage and/or eradicate invasive weed populations. The group effort focuses onto the counties of Marin and Sonoma however the WMA collaborates on a regional level as well through the Bay Area Early Detection Network (BAEDN).
Physical meetings are currently not being held due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The meeting will be conducted online. If you are interested in attending our next online meeting please contact Pierpaolo Aymar or Anna Dirkse at the contacts listed above.
Pierpaolo Aymar is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Marin / Sonoma WMA
Time: September 8, 2022 9:00am – 11:00am Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting:
974 0031 9940
For more information visit https://www.marincounty.org/depts/ag/weeds/weed-management
Useful Links and Information:
- Plant Right Website – Excellent place to find non-invasive plant alternatives for your landscape.
- CDFW “Don’t Plant Me” – Listing of species not to plant by CA Dept of Fish and Wildlife Invasive Plant Program.
- Cal-Flora Website – A website you can use to learn about plants that grow wild in California (both native and weeds).
- UC Integrated Pest Management for Home Gardeners and Landscape Professionals – Handout
- California Native Plant Society – A non-profit conserving California native plants and their natural habitats.
Local Volunteering Opportunities:
If you are interested in participating in events aimed at the control of invasive plants in the local area please visit any of the following websites to find more information about upcoming events.
- One Tam Volunteer Calendar
- CAL IPC Wildland Volunteer Network
- CAL IPC Volunteer Resources
- Laguna De Santa Rosa Foundation
- Sonoma Ecology Center Volunteers
- Point Reyes National Seashore Habitat Restoration Volunteer Program
- Point Reyes Light: “Invasive Plants in Park a Growing Threat” by Brandon Cartwright 2/12/2020
- Marin Independent Journal: “Invasive Japanese Knotweed is Not our Friend” by Martha Proctor 6/21/2019
- Marin Independent Journal: “Japanese Knotweed, the Godzilla of Weeds” by Nanette Londeree 9/21/2018
Organizations on WMA’s MOU (intend to update MOU by 2021)
- Audubon Canyon Ranch
- California Native Plant Society, Marin Chapter
- California Native Plant Society, Milo Baker Chapter
- California State Parks
- California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
- Marin County Agricultural Commissioner
- Marin County Open Space District
- Marin Municipal Water District
- Point Reyes National Seashore
- Sonoma County Agricultural Commissioner
- Sonoma Ecology Center