Chair: Steve Hajik, Lake County Agricultural Commissioner
General contact: Katherine Blyleven, 707-263-0217, email@example.com
Mapping contact: None
Meetings: Once every two months at the Lake County Department of Agriculture Building in Lakeport
- Invasive Weeds of Lake County pamphlet
- In January of 2003, an Invasive Plant School was held, with about 100 attendees
- In 2005, the WMA led an invasive weed driving tour, and the event was repeated in 2007
- Presentations on weeds of Lake County are given as needed for local organizations like watershed groups.
- For Invasive Weed Awareness Week, Lake WMA members go before the County Board of Supervisors to receive a proclamation paralleling the state legislature?s proclamation, an event that is aired on local television
- Articles about the Lake County biocontrol program have appeared in a local paper and in a Farm Bureau publication.
Lake County arundo mapping and treatment
- GPS technology was used to survey and create GIS maps for arundo and tamarisk species over 70-75% of Lake County. Of the mapped area, 60% has been treated for arundo using two forms of chemical treatment. Most plants were originally treated using the cut-and-daub method, and then any re-growth was treated a second time by bending the plant down and spraying it with a dilute herbicide. Project partners included the East Lake and West Lake Resource Conservation Districts, Lake County Public Works, and the Agricultural Commissioner’s Office.
Broom grazing at the Robinson Rancheria
- Broom species were grazed by goats on 1.5 acres at the Robinson Rancheria in Nice, on the northern end of Clear Lake. A follow-up treatment with clove oil on new shoots and re-growth during intense summer heat was very effective.
Organizations on WMA’s MOU
- East Lake Resource Conservation District
- Lake County Department of Agriculture
- Lake County Public Works
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service
- West Lake Resource Conservation District
Other regular participants
- Bureau of Land Management
- California Department of Transportation(Caltrans)
- California State Parks
- Cow Mountain Kiko Goats
- Mendocino National Forest