Thank you for making the 2019 Cal-IPC Symposium a success! Mark your calendars for Oct. 27-30, 2020 in Chico.
Presentations will be uploaded soon. In the meantime, check out the program online,
Schedule for 2019:
Tues., Oct. 15: Training Sessions (Optional, some with added fee)
- 9 am–12 pm: Statewide WMA Meeting (no cost, 2 DPR credits)
- 1–5 pm: Calflora’s Online Wild Plant Database and Observer Pro Tool and Calflora’s Weed Manager System (concurrent tracks: $50 members/$75 non-members, 1 DPR credit)
- 1–5 pm: CLOSED: Invasive Plant Management Planning for Your Organization (Max attendees: 40. This training is at-capacity and is now closed to new registrants. $50 members/$75 non-members, 3 DPR credits)
- 5–6:30 pm: Dinner break/Convention Center reception (incl. with reg.)
- 6:30–8:30 pm: Herbicide Laws and Regulations (incl. with reg., 2 DPR credits)
Wed. & Thurs., Oct. 16-17: Main Conference & Sessions
Session talks, discussion groups, and a posters will cover a wide range of topics related to invasive plant biology and management, including:
- Land management – tools and tactics, project planning, measuring results, prescribed grazing
- Restoration and recovery – fire recovery, grasslands, wetlands, aquatic systems, coastal sage scrub
- Research – plant traits and life cycles, population ecology, soil health
- Ecological interactions – habitat dynamics, rare plant protection, re-invasion
- Community outreach – messaging, volunteer coordination, youth engagement
- Inclusivity – non-traditional career pathways, broadening the conservation field, diverse audiences
- And more…
Also on Wed., Oct 16:
- Early Career Networking Lunch – Students & early career professionals, sign up to learn more about careers in weed management with representatives from a variety of fields including non-profits, academia, consulting and the government.
- Poster & Exhibit Session – Meet our exhibitors and join in discussion with poster presenters.
- Auction & Raffle – Enjoy a lively social hour for fun and mingling, and bid on auction & raffle items to help support Cal-IPC programs.
- Awards Banquet – Celebrate your colleagues and see live draws for top Raffle items.
(Wed. sessions, 3 DPR credits, Thurs. sessions, 2 DPR credits)
Fri., Oct. 18: Field Trips (Optional, added fee)
- CLOSED: Santa Rosa Plateau (Full day, $50) – Experience a unique ecological mosaic caused by basaltic soil beneath perennial grasslands, oak woodland, coastal sage scrub, and vernal pools, with discussion of Native American history and current grassland management tools. (Max attendees 25. This field trip is at-capacity and is now closed to new registrants. 5 DPR credits)
- CLOSED: Santa Ana River and Tributaries (Full day, $50) – From wild pigs to homeless sites, urban rivers face unique challenges for restoration. Tamarisk, Arundo, fountaingrass, and Saharan mustard are being controlled along tributaries and higher in the watershed. (Max attendees 22. This field trip is at-capacity and is now closed to new registrants. 5 DPR credits)
- Mill Creek Canyon (Half day, $30) – Partners working together to control tree-of-heaven and Spanish broom, support successful post-fire recovery, and collaborate with the community. (Max attendees 30, 2 DPR credits)
- How to Bait for Phytophthera with Pears (Half day, $20) Are you worried about Phytophthera in your nursery or your restorations? Learn how to set up an easy test for your plants at this three-hour field trip-workshop! Tour the Riverside Corona Resource Conservation District’s 3-acre Land Use Learning Center demonstration garden and learn about innovative methods to steward natural resources in natural, urban, and agricultural settings. (Max attendees 20, 2 DPR credits)
Early bird rate ends Aug. 1. Online registration closes and regular rates end Oct. 1. After Oct. 1, register at the door for late rates.
- Member: $320 early bird / $345 regular / $370 late
- Non-Member: $370 early bird / $395 regular / $420 late
- Presenter: $295 early bird / $320 regular / $345 late (Presenting at 2019 Symposium )
- Student: $50 early bird / $65 regular / $80 late (in degree program or 1 year post grad)
- Student Presenter: $25 early bird / $40 regular / $55 late (in degree program or 1 year post grad & presenting at 2019 Symposium)
- Symposium Volunteer: $195 (while space lasts, 5 hours work expected. Learn with colleagues while you help Cal-IPC!)
Registration includes: Tues. evening reception, Laws & Regs session, all sessions Wed. & Thurs., breakfast, lunch, and banquet dinner on Wed., and breakfast Thurs. Full-day Field Trips on Friday include lunch.
Refund policy: Full refund to requests received by Sept. 17. A partial refund of 50% will be given to requests received by Sept. 24. No refunds after Sept. 24.
Return to the Symposium Landing Page