Synonyms: Tamarix juniperina; Tamarix pentandra
Common names: Chinese tamarisk; fivestamen tamarisk
Tamarix ramosissima (saltcedar, tamarisk) is a shrub or a tree (family Tamaricaceae) which can be found along streams and lake shores, throughout California. Tamarix ramosissima is associated with dramatic changes in geomorphology, groundwater availability, soil chemistry, fire frequency, plant community composition, and native wildlife diversity. It may hybridize with Tamarix gallica or Tamarix chinensis.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Alliance forms to guide tamarisk biocontrol in California. Norelli, Nicole. Vol 25, Issue 1
- New pest-disease complex threatens California forests. Lynch, Shannon; Eskalen, Akif; Gilbert, Gregory S.. Vol 24, Issue 2
- WMAs, who needs ‘em? The low desert, for one. Sweet, Lynn C.. Vol 24, Issue 2
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Wildland Weed News. editor. Vol 17, Issue 2
- Greetings from the Low Desert WMA. Hawkins, Ilima. Vol 17, Issue 1
- The cost of weeds to California. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 17, Issue 1
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Which weeds dominate southern California urban riparian systems?. Burkhart, Brad; Kelly, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 1
- Exotic pest plants, Calif. Assoc. of Nurserymen, and CalEPPC. Bell, Carl E.; Evans, Mike; Wilen, Cheryl. Vol 09, Issue 1
- Lessons from the front: Taking stock to avoid surprises. Kelly, Mike. Vol 05, Issue 1
- Biological control of invasive exotic pest plant species: A report on the importance of maintaining and enhancing our nation’s biological control capabilities. CalEPPC. Vol 03, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
None for this species.
Other Tamarix ramosissima Information
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.