Synonyms: Amberboa atlantica; Volutaria lippii subsp. tubuliflora
Common names: desert knapweed; Mediterranean knapweed
Volutaria tubuliflora (desert knapweed) is an annual herb (family Asteraceae) with pink-purple flowers and lobed hairy leaves found in the desert ranges and south coast ranges of California. It is native to northern Africa and the Mediterranean Basin. It favors grasslands, dunes, scrub and chaparral habitat. It propagates via multitudes of seeds. Seeds are dispersed via human traffic, machinery, water and wind.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited — Alert
CDFA Rating: A
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 25, Issue 2
- FROM THE DIRECTOR’S DESK: Nativism. Johnson, Doug. Vol 25, Issue 1
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 25, Issue 1
- Partnership aims to eradicate Volutaria tubuliflora. Robison, Ramona; Matthews, Pat; McDonald, Chris; Harris, Frank. Vol 25, Issue 1
- Getting it done on the ground. Johnson, Doug. Vol 24, Issue 1
- CDFA expands noxious weed list and revises process. Kelch, Dean. Vol 23, Issue 2
- Early detection/rapid response around the state. Cal-IPC. Vol 23, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Containing and reducing the spread of Volutaria across southern California: Lessons learned when managing novel weed species. McDonald, Chris (2019)
- Successes, failures, and lessons from the Orange County CNPS Emergent Invasive Program. Vanderhoff, Ron (2019)
- Management of Volutaria tubuliflora at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park ̐ A community effort. Hyland, Mason (2017)
- Overcoming challenges: Managing the highly invasive Volutaria across California. McDonald, Chris (2017)
- Volutaria detection and management at Upper Newport Bay, Orange County. Vanderhoff, Ron (2017)
Other Volutaria tubuliflora Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.