Synonyms: Matricaria globifera, Pentzia globifera, Oncosiphon piluliferum
Common names: stinknet; globe chamomile
Oncosiphon pilulifer (stinknet) is a strongly-scented annual herb (family Asteraceae) with round yellow flowers and finely dissected leaves found in the south coast and desert ranges of Southern California. It is native to South Africa. It favors dunes and scrub and chaparral habitat. It spreads via seeds which travel through human activities and machinery.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: Q?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Spotting rare weeds in Bay Area creeks. Mo, Jennifer. Vol 31, Issue 1
- Another stinkin' weed: Stinknet expands in southern California. McDonald, Christopher. Vol 27, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Developing a post-fire EDRR framework. Quon, Lauren; Fitch, Robert; Laskey, Hailey (2022)
- Early detection surveys in the Holy Fire burn area. England, Joy (2022)
- Prescribed burning may produce refugia for Oncosiphon piluliferum. Schwab, Stuart; Jenerette, G. Darrel; Larios, Loralee (2022)
- Regional EDRR with Bay Area WMAs. Johnson, Doug; Valentine, Nicole (2022)
- Seasonal herbicide management for invasive plant control: insights from stinknet. Rodriguez, Clarissa; McDonald, Christopher; Larios, Loralee (2022)
- The role of fire in managing invasive species at the Santa Rose Plateau Ecological Reserve. Laskey, Hailey; Principe, Zach (2022)
- Challenges managing the novel large-scale invasion of stinknet (Oncosiphon pilulifer) at the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve. Laskey, Hailey; Principe, Zach (2021)
- Drone imagery and a simple spatial analysis technique for long-term mapping of stinknet (Oncosiphon pilulifer). Burson, Emily (2021)
- Lessons learned after nearly a decade of managing and monitoring stinknet (Oncosiphon pilulifer) across Southern California. McDonald, Chris (2021)
- Post-fire surveys for rare and invasive plants in the San Bernardino Mountains. Fraga, Naomi (2021)
- Arizona joins California in battling stinknet. Chamberland, Michael (2020)
- Assessing chemical management options for the control of stinknet (Oncosiphon piluliferum). Rodriguez, Clarissa; Bean, Travis; McDonald, Christopher; Larios, Loralee (2020)
- Some insights on the seed bank dynamics of stinknet, a difficult weed to contain. McDonald, Christopher; Douglas, Alex (2020)
- Adaptive management of stinknet (Oncosiphon piluliferum) in a coastal sage scrub preserve in North County, San Diego. Burson, Emily (2019)
- Do Oncosiphon piluliferum soil legacy effects post-removal inhibit restoration success? Schwab, Stuart (2019)
- Environmental factors and herbicide effect on germination rates of stinknet (Oncosiphon piluliferum), an invasive weed in Southern California. Perez-Ochoa, Zara; de la Rosa, Carlos A. (2019)
- Evaluating the efficiency of herbicides for management for Oncosiphon piluliferum (stinknet). Rodriguez, Clarissa; Bean, Travis; McDonald, Christopher; Larios, Loralee (2019)
- Weed Red Alerts. Kelch, Dean (2018)
- 2016 Weed Alerts. Kelch, Dean (2016)
- Weed Alerts 2010. DiTomaso, Joseph (2010)
Other Oncosiphon pilulifer Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- GBIF - Global distribution information.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.
- The Plant List - Global taxonomic resource and collaborative clearinghouse from Kew Gardens, the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Missouri Botanic Garden and others.