Synonyms: Cortaderia atacamensis
Common names: jubatagrass; pink pampasgrass
Cortaderia jubata (jubatagrass) is a large perennial grass (family Poaceae) found along the coast of California and in the Coast Ranges. Jubatagrass favors dunes, bluffs, and disturbed areas, including inland areas where temperatures are moderated by fog. It was introduced as an ornamental plant and for erosion control. Each plume produces up to 100,000 seeds that are widely dispersed by wind and develop without fertilization. Jubatagrass quickly colonizes bare ground, but establishment is generally poor where the seedlings must compete with other grasses or sedges.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: B*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Special ReportsPampasgrass and jubatagrass brochure - from UC Davis, Weed Research & Information Center
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Recommended action on invasive ornamentals. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 1
- A tale of two invaders: The dynamic history of pampas grass and jubata grass in California. Lambrinos, John. Vol 12, Issue 3
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
- Red alert! Hypericum canariense L. (Canary Island St. Johnswort). Tu, Mandy. Vol 09, Issue 3
- Exotic pest plants, Calif. Assoc. of Nurserymen, and CalEPPC. Bell, Carl E.; Evans, Mike; Wilen, Cheryl. Vol 09, Issue 1
- Roundup of Arundo projects reveals commitment, strategic weakness. Kelly, Mike. Vol 07, Issue 2
- Richmond weed abatement ordinance. . Vol 07, Issue 1
- Fort Ord readies the troops for war – on weeds!. Fry, Virginia. Vol 06, Issue 1
- Lessons from the front: Taking stock to avoid surprises. Kelly, Mike. Vol 05, Issue 1
- Highways as corridors of dispersal. Madison, John. Vol 04, Issue 1
- Marin supervisors establish policy against non-natives. Griffith, Quentin. Vol 03, Issue 2
- Exotic pest plants of greatest ecological concern in California September 1994. Cal-IPC. Vol 02, Issue 4
- Pampas eradication program – P.E.P. – part two. Madison, John H.. Vol 02, Issue 2
- Pulling pampas: Controlling Cortaderia by hand with a volunteer program. Moore, Ken. Vol 02, Issue 2
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
- Pampas eradication program – P.E.P. (part 1). Madison, John H.. Vol 01, Issue 4
- Weed whacking tips: Pampas grass (Cortaderia jubata). Kelly, Mike. Vol 01, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- A test of the herbicide Weed Slayer for the control of invasive plants. Thomas, Don (2020)
- Prioritizing widespread weeds with the WHIPPET tool. Kesel, Rachel; Greenberger, David (2020)
- Big projects, small monitoring budgets: Using basic data to assess treatment effectiveness for control of Cortaderia jubata. Hamingson, Ellen (2019)
- Is imazapyr an effective alternative to glyphosate for the control of jubatagrass? Thomas, Don (2012)
- Active and passive restoration of fountain thistle habitat following jubatagrass removal. Thomas, Don (2009)
- Evaluating the seed bank of a disturbed site to determine potential ecological restoration strategies. Olesen, Cory; Doran, Daniel; D_Antonio, Carla (2009)
- Molecular evidence supporting the horticultural origin of invasive jubata grass (Cortaderia jubata). Okada, Miki; Lyle, Mark; Jasieniuk, Marie (2006)
- Large scale pampas grass control program. Powers, Jeff (2005)
- A tale of two invaders: The dynamic history of pampas grass and jubata grass in California. Lambrinos, John G. (2004)
- Identifying origins and tracing spread of pampasgrass and jubatagrass in California by microsatellite markers. Okada, Miki; Ahmad, Riaz; Jasieniuk, Marie (2004)
- A decade of dune restoration at the Lanphere Dunes. Pickart, Andrea (2003)
- Risk analysis of various weed control methods. DiTomaso, Joseph M. (1997)
- Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. Thomsen, Craig D.; Williams, William A.; Vayssieres, Marc P. (1996)
- Overview of extension non-crop weed research in California. DiTomaso, Joe (1995)
Other Cortaderia jubata Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.