Synonyms: R. raphanistrum var. sativus
Common names: wild radish
Raphanus sativus (radish) is an annual or occasionally a perennial (family Brassicaceae) that frequently invades grasslands and open/disturbed areas, including roadsides in California. Wild radish may also be found in wetland areas. Wild radishes are capable of excluding native plant species and are, on rare occasion, toxic to livestock.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. editor. Vol 17, Issue 2
- Invasive plants research at UC Riverside. Holt, Jodie S.. Vol 13, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Trait evolution along a climate gradient in California wild radish. Welles, Shanna; Funk, Jennifer (2018)
- Interloper’s legacy: Invasive, hybrid-derived California wild radish (Raphanus sativus) evolves to outperform its immigrant parents. Ridley, Caroline E.; Ellstrand, Norman C. (2007)
- Blurring edges: A test of weed control methods used along edges of sage scrub patches to encourage shrub colonization into abandoned agricultural fields. Maher, Eliza; Stanton, Edward (2005)
Other Raphanus sativus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.