Synonyms: Bucholzia philoxeroides Mart., Telanthera philoxeroides (Mart.)
Common names: alligatorweed
Alternanthera philoxeroides (alligatorweed) is a noxious herbaceous aquatic perennial (family Amaranthaceae), that forms dense floating mats. This weed grows in the San Joaquin Valley (Tulare and Kings counties), Los Angeles County, and the Sacramento Delta. It invades lakes, streams, canals, ponds and irrigation ditches. It was previously used in the aquarium trade and is currently rapidly expanding in waterways across California.Cal-IPC Rating: High
CDFA Rating: A
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Special ReportsYolo County Weed Alert by Brenda Grewell, April 2020
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Alligatorweed in the Delta an early detection rapid response story. O'Brien, Jon (2018)
- Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1997)
- Use of biologically based methods to control pest plants:Issues related to federal research, regulation, and implementation. Chornesky, Elizabeth A.; Palmer, Cynthia M. (1995)
Other Alternanthera philoxeroides Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- GBIF - Global distribution information.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.