Synonyms: Bucholzia philoxeroides Mart., Telanthera philoxeroides (Mart.)
Common names: alligatorweed
Alternanthera philoxeroides (alligatorweed) is a noxious herbaceous aquatic perennial (family Amaranthaceae), that forms dense floating mats. This weed grows in the San Joaquin Valley (Tulare and Kings counties) and in Los Angeles County. It invades lakes, streams, canals, ponds and irrigation ditches. It was previously used in the aquarium trade.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Alligatorweed in the Delta an early detection rapid response story. O'Brien, Jon (2018)
- A brief overview of the California Dept. of Food and Agriculture’s A-rated noxious weed education and eradication program. Leavitt, J. Robert; Pirosko, Carri (2002)
- The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1999)
- Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1997)
- Use of biologically based methods to control pest plants:Issues related to federal research, regulation, and implementation. Chornesky, Elizabeth A.; Palmer, Cynthia M. (1995)
Other Alternanthera philoxeroides Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.