Synonyms: Bucholzia philoxeroides Mart., Telanthera philoxeroides (Mart.)
Common names: alligatorweed
Alternanthera philoxeroides (alligatorweed) is a noxious herbaceous aquatic perennial (family Amaranthaceae), that forms dense floating mats. This weed grows in the San Joaquin Valley (Tulare and Kings counties) and in Los Angeles County. It invades lakes, streams, canals, ponds and irrigation ditches. It was previously used in the aquarium trade.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Chornesky, E. A. and C. M. Palmer (1995). Use of biologically based methods to control pest plants:Issues related to federal research, regulation, and implementation. Proceedings California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '95. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Leavitt, J. R. and C. Pirosko (2002). A brief overview of the California Dept. of Food and Agriculture's A-rated noxious weed education and eradication program. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium 2002. Sacramento, CA.
- O'Connell, R. A. (1997). Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California's noxious weed eradication programs. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '97. Concord, CA.
- O'Connell, R. A. (1999). The state of California's noxious weed eradication programs. California Exotic Pest Plant Council. Sacramento, CA.
Other Alternanthera philoxeroides Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.