Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Oxalis_pes-caprae.php
Oxalis pes-caprae (Bermuda buttercup,buttercup oxalis, yellow oxalis)
Oxalis pes-caprae (buttercup oxalis, Bermuda buttercup, yellow oxalis) is a low-growing perennial (family Oxalidaceae) found along the coast of California, in the Coastal Ranges, and in the Sacramento Valley. Buttercup oxalis occurs in coastal dunes, scrub, oak woodlands, gardens, turf, urban areas, orchards and agricultural fields. Buttercup oxalis was introduced as an ornamental landscape plant from South Africa. Although buttercup oxalis does not produce seeds, it is difficult to control because of its ability to form many persistent bulbs. Cultivation may be an effective control if carried out when the plants are just beginning to flower.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Oxalis pes-caprae
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Oxalis pes-caprae.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Oxalis pes-caprae.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Albert, M. E. (1995). Portrait of an invader II: The ecology and management of Carpobrotus edulis. CalEPPC News. 3: 4-6.
- Sigg, J. (2003). Oxalis pes-caprae. CalEPPC News. 11: 8-9.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Stringer, L. and M. Heath (2011). Comparison of four herbicide treatments on Oxalis pes-caprae. Cal-IPC 2011 Symposium. Tahoe City, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Giessow, J. and P. Zedler (1996). The effects of fire frequency and firebreaks on the abundance and species richness of exotic plant species in coastal sage scrub. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
Other Resources on Oxalis pes-caprae
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.