Synonyms: Sapium sebiferum; Croton sebiferum, Excoecaria sebifera, Stillingia sebifera, Triadica sinensis
Common names: Chinese tallow tree; popcorn tree; chicken tree; Florida aspen; Vegetable tallow; white wax berry
Sapium sebiferum (=Triadica sebifera) (Chinese tallowtree) is a deciduous tree (family Euphorbiaceae) that invades wildland areas and rapidly replaces the natural communities. Originally planted as a shade tree in urban areas, it can threaten wildlife habitat and crowd out native vegetation. It is only beginning to invade riparian areas of California, but is considered a major invasive species in the southern forests.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Mutualisms between native and non-native species: global trends and Californian case studies. Aslan, Clare E.; Sikes, Benjamin; Gedan, Keryn Bromberg (2012)
- New and expanding weeds in California. Kelch, Dean (2012)
- Invasion potential of Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) in California (3.7 MB). Bower, Michael J.; Aslan, Clare E. (2008)
- Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike (2004)
- The abundance and distribution of non-native woody species in Sacramento Valley riparian zones. Hunter, John C.; Sterling, John C.; Widdowson, William P.; Beedy, Edward C.; Stralberg, Diana; Nur, Nadav (2003)
- Weed alert! New invasive weeds in California. Randall, John M. (1997)
Other Triadica sebifera Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.