Common names: English cordgrass
Spartina anglica (common cordgrass) is a rhizomatous perennial grass (family Poaceae) found in salt marshes and mudflats in northern San Francisco Bay. Common cordgrass is a recently evolved species that was first described in the late 1800s. The new species resulted from the hybridization of smooth cordgrass (S. alterniflora) and small cordgrass (S. maritima) in England. Spartina anglica can transform tidal mudflats into drier, elevated meadows over time. This has not yet occurred in the infested site in the San Francisco Bay, where the species has been spreading slowly since its introduction in 1970.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Protecting San Francisco Bay salt marshes from invasive sea lavender. Whitcomb, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- BEYOND THE WAR ON INVASIVE SPECIES: A PERMACULTURE APPROACH TO ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION. Orion, Tao. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Cordgrass and clapper rails. Grijalva, Erik; Kerr, Drew; Zaremba, Katy. Vol 13, Issue 4
- Invasive Spartina: “Just another weed”: Biology, spread, and prospects for control. Richardson, Brianna. Vol 11, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Economic impact of selected invasive species: direct costs estimates and economic impacts for Washington State. Haubrich, Greg (2018)
- Washington state’s noxious weed program. Haubrich, Greg (2018)
- Invasive Spartina Project at a turning point: Eradication on the horizon, reconciling clapper rail impacts, and charting a course towards tidal marsh revegetation with native cordgrass. Kerr, Drew (2011)
- Adaptive integrated vegetation management of invasive Spartina densiflora in the San Francisco Estuary. Kerr, Drew (2010)
- Monitoring a declining, hybridizing weed (7.5 MB). Hogle, Ingrid (2008)
- Spread of exotic cordgrasses and hybrids (Spartina sp.) in the tidal marshes of San Francisco Bay. Ayres, Debra R.; Smith, Debra L.; Zaremba, Katy; Klohr, Shannon; Strong, Donald R. (2002)
Other Spartina anglica Information
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.