Common names: feathertop
Pennisetum villosum (feathertop) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) with fuzzy white to light brown flowers and long narrow leaves found in the Sierra Nevada range, central coast ranges and southwestern ranges of California. It is native to Africa. It favors grasslands, dunes, and scrub and chaparral habitat. It spreads via rhizomes and seed. Seeds travel via mud, machinery, water, wind, animals, humans and dumped garden waste.
Cal-IPC Rating: Watch
Plant Risk Assessment
Plant Risk Assessment- An evaluation of the potential for a plant to be invasive in California.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Pennisetum villosum Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.