Synonyms: Jussiaea peploides
Common names: floating water primrose; California waterprimrose
Ludwigia peploides (creeping water-primrose) is a perennial aquatic plant (family Onagraceae) that forms very dense, virtually impenetrable mats which restrict fishing and boat access. It also out competes native aquatic plants. Ludwigia peploides can be found throughout California in rice fields, ditches, ponds, slow moving streams, and along edges of lakes and reservoirs. There is some confusion as to which non-native species occur in California and more than one, yet unknown, species may be invasive.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Which weeds dominate southern California urban riparian systems?. Burkhart, Brad; Kelly, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Invasive species holobiomes as bioindicators? Environmental DNA metabarcoding from community-collected CALeDNA samples makes holobiomes available for common invasive plants. Meyer, Rachel (2020)
- The safe and effective application of aquatic herbicides. Hoffmann, Krista (2020)
- Partnering with California Conservation Corps on large scale weed removal in the Oroville Wildlife Area. Ferrara, Holly (2019)
- Pre-planting to preclude persistent pest plants. Renteria Bustamante, Jorge Luis; Darin, Gina; Grosholz, Edwin; Silva, Jamie; Mulligan, Rhiannon; Hoffmann, Krista; Ahmed, Bayan (2019)
- Warm temperatures increase biomass of seedling: implication for management of Ludwigia hexapetala and Ludwigia peploides subsp. montevidensis. Gillard, Morgane; Grewell, Brenda; Futrell, Caryn; Deleu, Carole; Thiébaut, Gabrielle (2018)
Other Ludwigia peploides Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.