Common names: shining geranium
Geranium lucidum (shining geranium) is an annual or biennial herb/ (family Geraniaceae) with pink flowers and wide, shiny, segmented leaves found in the San Francisco Bay area and north coast ranges of California. It is native to Europe, northern Africa and western Asia. It favors grasslands, dunes, and riparian and bottomland habitat. It self-pollinates and reproduces via seed. Seeds are shot from the plant and can travel 20 feet. People disperse seeds accidentally, especially along roadsides.
Cal-IPC Rating: Watch
CDFA Rating: A
Plant Risk Assessment
Plant Risk Assessment- An evaluation of the potential for a plant to be invasive in California.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Special ReportsGeranium lucidum - Geranium molle comparison. Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Shiny geranium: A new weed in California. Whitcomb, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Eradicating knotweeds and other new invaders on California’s North Coast. Eberwein, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- New weed alerts!. DiTomaso, Joe. Vol 13, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Geranium lucidum Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.