Synonyms: Euphorbia esula; Euphorbia discolor, Euphorbia virgata, Euphorbia gmelinii
Common names: leafy spurge; faitours-grass; wolf's milk
Euphorbia virgata (leafy spurge) is a perennial (family Euphorbiaceae) rhizomatous erect herb. Euphorbia esula can be found in scattered locations throughout northern California and crowding out native plant species. It can invade and dominate a variety of vegetation types, including prairies, grasslands and pine savannahs.Cal-IPC Rating: High
CDFA Rating: A*
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Dangerous and invasive Euphorbias in California. Case, Bob. Vol 18, Issue 4
- Wildland Weed News. editor. Vol 17, Issue 2
- The cost of weeds to California. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 17, Issue 1
- High school students take on carnation spurge. Brigham, Christy. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Biological control of invasive exotic pest plant species: A report on the importance of maintaining and enhancing our nation’s biological control capabilities. CalEPPC. Vol 03, Issue 3
- Slow-motion explosion: The exponential spread of exotic species. Schneider, David. Vol 02, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Euphorbia virgata Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.