Synonyms: Anemone vitalba
Common names: old man's beard; traveler's joy
Clematis vitalba (old man’s beard) is a vine (family Ranunculaceae) with white flowers and oval-shaped leaves found in the central coast ranges of California. It is native to the United Kingdom. It favors forests and woodlands. It spreads via seeds and roots. Means of dispersal include water, wind, humans and animals.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
CDFA Rating: A
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Early detection/rapid response around the state. Cal-IPC. Vol 23, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Clematis vitalba Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- The Plant List - Global taxonomic resource and collaborative clearinghouse from Kew Gardens, the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Missouri Botanic Garden and others.
- GBIF - Global distribution information.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.