Common names: slender oat
Avena barbata (slender wild oat) is a winter annual grass (family Poaceae) that grows in nearly every grassland area of the state. It does well in sandy/poor soils, often on the road verges. It is one of the annual grasses that was introduced as a forage species and has replaced the native perennial grasses.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Integrating weed control and trait-screened seed mixes to reduce the risk of postfire type conversion from coastal sage scrub to annual grasslands. Teller, Noah (2019)
- Resident community species diversity and invader genetic diversity do not affect the establishment of an annual exotic grass. McGray, Heather G.; Suding, Katharine N. (2010)
- Blurring edges: A test of weed control methods used along edges of sage scrub patches to encourage shrub colonization into abandoned agricultural fields. Maher, Eliza; Stanton, Edward (2005)
- California’s fading wildflower legacy. Minnich, Richard A. (2004)
- Out of the frying pan: Invasion of exotic perennial grasses in coastal prairies. Corbin, Jeffrey D.; Thomsen, Meredith; Alexander, Janice; D_Antonio, Carla M. (2004)
- The effects of fire frequency and firebreaks on the abundance and species richness of exotic plant species in coastal sage scrub. Giessow, Jason; Zedler, Paul (1996)
- Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. Minnich, Richard A. (1994)
- The effects of fire on introduced annual grasses. Wills, Robin (1993)
Other Avena barbata Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.