Common names: barb goatgrass, barbed goatgrass
Aegilops triuncialis (barb goatgrass) is an annual grass (family Poaceae) that grows in rangelands, grasslands, and oak woodlands. It is becoming a dominant grass in foothill grasslands of central California. This weed can directly injure livestock by lodging in their eyes or mouths, and is unpalatable to cattle.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Special ReportsBarb Goatgrass - University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources Peer-Reviewed Publication 8315
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Weeds and climate resilience in Sierra meadows. Brusati, Elizabeth; Johnson, Doug. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Cal-IPC partners to protect military lands. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 23, Issue 2
- Rangeland stakeholders meet on medusahead and goatgrass. James, Jeremy. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Tracking eradication progress . Guise, Vince. Vol 21, Issue 3
- Impacts of native vs. exotic grassland vegetation. Eviner, Valerie; Heraty, Joanne; Baty, Jill; Malmstrom, Carolyn; Rice, Kevin. Vol 21, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Lessons learned: goats, goatgrass, fire, and fuel reduction. Minnick, Sarah (2018)
- Barb goatgrass management: Interactive effects of grazing, glyphosate rate, application timing, and restoration seeding. Bean, Travis; Gornish, Elise; Kyser, Guy (2017)
- Preserving serpentine grasslands: ten years of research and management to control barbed goatgrass (Aegilops triuncialis) at the McLaughlin Reserve. Aigner, Paul A.; Case, Erica J.; Harrison, Susan P.; Cornell, Howard V. (2012)
- Alteration of nitrogen cycling processes by exotic annuals in a California grassland. Carey, Chelsea; Hart, Stephen C. (2011)
- Control of barbed goatgrass in serpentine grasslands. Aigner, Paul A.; Woerly, Rhett J. (2010)
- Prescribed burning controls barb goatgrass (Aegilops triuncialis L.) in Central Valley rangeland for up to five years. Marty, Jaymee T.; Sweet, Sara; Buck, Jennifer J (2010)
- The effects of climate change on the growth of Barbed Goatgrass (Aegilops triuncialis) in serpentine grasslands. Morrison, Elise; Battaglia, Amy; Going, Barbara (2010)
- Controlling the invasion of noxious rangeland weeds into an exotic-dominated grassland: Is there a role for native grass reseeding? Eviner, Valerie; Rice, Kevin J.; Malmstrom, Carolyn M. (2009)
- Efficacy and safety of new herbicides on the horizon. DiTomaso, Joseph M. (2005)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- Interactive effects of roads, soils, and exposure on invasion of Calif. grasslands. Gelbard, Jonathan L.; Harrison, Susan (2001)
- Bear Creek watershed restoration program. Thomsen, Craig D. (2000)
- Control of barbed goatgrass using prescribed burning. DiTomaso, Joseph M.; Merenlender, Adina; Hiese, Kerry (2000)
- Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. Thomsen, Craig D.; Williams, William A.; Vayssieres, Marc P. (1996)
Other Aegilops triuncialis Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- GBIF - Global distribution information.