Synonyms: Euphorbia esula; Euphorbia discolor, Euphorbia virgata, Euphorbia gmelinii
Common names: leafy spurge; faitours-grass; wolf's milk
Euphorbia virgata (leafy spurge) is a perennial (family Euphorbiaceae) rhizomatous erect herb. Euphorbia esula can be found in scattered locations throughout northern California and crowding out native plant species. It can invade and dominate a variety of vegetation types, including prairies, grasslands and pine savannahs.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Dangerous and invasive Euphorbias in California. Case, Bob. Vol 18, Issue 4
- Wildland Weed News. editor. Vol 17, Issue 2
- The cost of weeds to California. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 17, Issue 1
- High school students take on carnation spurge. Brigham, Christy. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Biological control of invasive exotic pest plant species: A report on the importance of maintaining and enhancing our nation’s biological control capabilities. CalEPPC. Vol 03, Issue 3
- Slow-motion explosion: The exponential spread of exotic species. Schneider, David. Vol 02, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- O'Connell, R. A. (1999). The state of California's noxious weed eradication programs. California Exotic Pest Plant Council. Sacramento, CA.
- Brown, W. Y. and A. G. Brown (1998). Campaign against invasive species: A call for action. California Exotic Pest Council '98 Symposium. Ontario, CA.
- O'Connell, R. A. (1997). Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California's noxious weed eradication programs. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '97. Concord, CA.
- Thomsen, C. D., W. A. Williams, et al. (1996). Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
- Westbrooks, R. G. (1995). Federal regulatory efforts to minimize the introduction and impacts of exotic pest plants in the United States. CalEPPC Symposium '95. Asilomar, CA.
Other Euphorbia virgata Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.