Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Hypericum_canariense.php
Hypericum canariense (Canary Island hypericum)
Hypericum canariense (Canary Island hypericum) is a rhizomatous perennial shrub (family Clusiaceae) found on the central and south coast of California and in the southern San Francisco Bay region. Canary Island hypericum infests disturbed areas, especially in coastal sage scrub and grassland habitats. This ornamental shrub forms dense stands that exclude native species. It is not yet widespread, but its prolific seed production makes rapid spread possible.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate - Alert
Cal-IPC Resources on Hypericum canariense
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Hypericum canariense.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Hypericum canariense.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Dlugosch, K. (2002). Recently-introduced shrub Hypericum canariense (Canary Island St. Johnswort).
- Tu, M. (2001). Red alert! Hypericum canariense L. (Canary Island St. Johnswort). CalEPPC News. 9: 6,10.
- Tu, M. (2002). Hypericum canariense. CalEPPC News. 10: 10.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2002). 2002 Red Alert! New introductions and recent expansions in California.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2002 REd Alert! New introductions and recent expansions in California.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Dlugosch, K. (2002). Recently-introduced shrub Hypericum canariense (Canary Island St. Johnswort). California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium 2002. Sacramento, CA.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2002). 2002 Red alert! New introductions and recent expansions in California. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium 2002. Sacramento, CA.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
Other Resources on Hypericum canariense
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.