Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Erodium_cicutarium.php
Erodium cicutarium (redstem filaree)
Erodium cicutarium (redstem filaree) is an aggressive annual/biannual (family Geraniaceae) that is very widespread throughout California and is commonly found along roadsides, grasslands, fields, and semi-desert areas. It often carpets large areas, out-competing native grasses and forbs.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Erodium cicutarium
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Erodium cicutarium.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Erodium cicutarium.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Perala, C., D. A. Hoover, et al. (1993). Control of exotic plants in an herbaceous understory. CalEPPC News. 1: 4-6.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Bell, M. D., S. J. Dickens, et al. (2010). Herbicide treatment of an invaded grassland following a prescribed fire. Cal-IPC 2010 Symposium. Ventura, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Schneider, H. and E. Allen (2009). Evening the odds: Evaluating the combined effects of nitrogen fertilization and exotic annual removal on native annual forbs in the Colorado Desert. Cal-IPC Symposium 2009. Visalia, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Minnich, R. A. (2004). California’s fading wildflower legacy. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Allen, E. B. (1998). Restoring habitats to prevent exotics. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '98. Ontario, CA.
- Brooks, M. L. (1998). Factors affecting alien annual plant abundance at a site in the western Mojave Desert: effects of human disturbance, microhabitat and rainfall. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '98. Ontario, CA.
- Carrithers, V. F. (1997). Using Transline* herbicide to control invasive plants. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '97. Concord, CA.
- Devender, T. R. V., R. S. Frlger, et al. (1997). Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '97. Concord, CA.
- Bauder, E. T. (1996). Exotics in the southern California bernal pool ecosystem. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
- Telllman, B. (1996). Stowaways and invited guests:How some exotic plants reached the American southwest. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium. San Diego, CA.
- Minnich, R. A. (1994). Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. California Exotic Pest Plant Symposium '94. Sacramento, CA.
- Wills, R. (1993). The effects of fire on introduced annual grasses. California Exotic Pest Plant Symposium '93. Westlake Village, CA.
Other Resources on Erodium cicutarium
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.