Common names: French tamarisk
Tamarix gallica (French tamarisk) is a shrub or a tree (family Tamaricaceae) which can be found along streams and lake shores, throughout California. Tamarix gallica is associated with dramatic changes in geomorphology, groundwater availability, soil chemistry, fire frequency, plant community composition, and native wildlife diversity. It may also hybridize with Tamarix ramosissima or Tamarix chinensis.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Special ReportsTamarisk Brochure - from the University of California's Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Distribution and spread of tamarisk beetles (Diorhabda spp.) and their known and predicted effects on riparian ecosystems. Bloodworth, Ben (2020)
- Native riparian revegetation success in controlled tamarisk and non-tamarisk sites in the Mojave River watershed, California. Lair, Kenneth (2017)
- Past, present, and future: Saltcedar (Tamarix spp.) and biological control in California. Norelli, Nicole (2017)
- California Alliance for Tamarisk Biocontrol – Biological Control with the Tamarisk Leaf Beetle (Diorhabda spp.). Norelli, Nicole; Dudley, Tom (2016)
Other Tamarix gallica Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.