Spartina alterniflora x S. foliosa
Common names: smooth hybrid cordgrass
Spartina alterniflora (and S. alterniflora x foliosa hybrids) (smooth cordgrass) is a rhizomatous perennial grass (family Poaceae) found in salt marshes and mudflats in the San Francisco Estuary and associated waterways. Smooth cordgrass spreads more rapidly, grows more densely, and tolerates higher water levels than native California cordgrass (Spartina foliosa). The two cordgrasses are known to hybridize, a process which may threaten the survival of pure strains of California cordgrass. A single smooth cordgrass plant may spread clonally in concentric circles to become a dense circular patch of up to 20 meters in diameter. The invasive cordgrass does not provide suitable habitat for native salt marsh shorebirds.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Protecting San Francisco Bay salt marshes from invasive sea lavender. Whitcomb, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- BEYOND THE WAR ON INVASIVE SPECIES: A PERMACULTURE APPROACH TO ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION. Orion, Tao. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Hybrid Spartina Forum: Defining eradication for a genetic invader. Hogle, Ingrid. Vol 19, Issue 1
- “Conservation Across Borders” in San Jose. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 2
- Cordgrass and clapper rails. Grijalva, Erik; Kerr, Drew; Zaremba, Katy. Vol 13, Issue 4
- Invasive Spartina: “Just another weed”: Biology, spread, and prospects for control. Richardson, Brianna. Vol 11, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Monitoring a declining, hybridizing weed (7.5 MB). Hogle, Ingrid (2008)
Other Spartina alterniflora x S. foliosa Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.