Synonyms: Sesbania punicea, Sesbania tripetii, Daubentonia punicea
Common names: scarlet wisteria; red sesbania; rattlebox; Chinese wisteria
Sesbania punicea (red sesbania, scarlet wisteria) is a deciduous shrub or small tree (family Fabaceae), up to 4 meters tall. Sesbania punicea is mostly found in riparian areas in the Central Valley, forming clusters so thick that access to the river becomes difficult to impossible. It displaces native plants used by wildlife and contributes to bank erosion and flooding.Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Protecting San Diego wetlands. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Carex pendula... and yelling at the ocean. Williams, Andrea. Vol 22, Issue 2
- Prioritizing Regional Response to Invasive Plants in the Sierra Nevada. Brusati, Elizabeth; Morawitz, Dana; Powell, Cynthia. Vol 19, Issue 2
- Invasive plant conference in South Africa. Darin, Gina. Vol 17, Issue 3
- Controlling red sesbania in Dry Creek. Buck, Peter; Lucas, Shannon. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- The hunt for red sesbania: Biology, spread, and prospects for control. Hunter, John; Platenkamp, Gerrit A.J.. Vol 11, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Biology and control of Sesbania punicea seed banks by solarization. Hunter, Robin (2015)
- Population expansion and regional management of red sesbania (Sesbania punicea) in California. Robison, R.; Pooley, D.; Barve., N. (2011)
- Dry Creek Watershed red sesbania control project – Initial successes and challenges. May, Loran; Lucas, Shannon; Evans, Eric; Buck, Peter (2005)
Other Sesbania punicea Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.