Common names: tansy ragwort; stinking willie; stavewort; kettle-dock; felonweed; Fairies' horse; tansy butterweed; staggerwort
Senecio jacobaea (tansy ragwort) is a noxious biennial, perennial, or winter annual forb/herb (family Asteraceae) found in northern California, along disturbed places, roadsides, and waste sites. This plant is poisonous if consumed by forage animals. Bees foraging on tansy ragwort produce bitter honey that is tainted with alkaloids.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: B*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Biological control of invasive exotic pest plant species: A report on the importance of maintaining and enhancing our nation’s biological control capabilities. CalEPPC. Vol 03, Issue 3
- German ivy engulfing riparian forests and heading for the uplands. Elliott, Woody. Vol 02, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Senecio jacobaea Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.