Common names: curly-leaved pondweed; curled pondweed; curly pondweed
Potamogeton crispus (curlyleaf pondweed) is an aquatic perennial (family Potamogetonaceae). The genus Potamogeton contains many widespread, variable species that are difficult to tell apart. Potamogeton species are important for wildlife, but they can become problems in managed aquatic systems such as irrigation canals. All species of Potamogeton are native to California except P. crispus. There is no evidence that curlyleaf pondweed hybridizes with native Potamogeton species, particularly since it primarily reproduces vegetatively.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Invasive species management in Lake Tahoe. Cartwright, Nicole; Johnson, Doug. Vol 26, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Early detection and rapid response: effective weed control at the landscape level. Farrell, Sharon; Patterson, Jesse; Kesel, Rachel; Brigham, Christy; Gregory, Nathan; Gardner, Leah (2020)
- Aquatic working group. Anderson, Lars; Zaremba, Katy; Owen, Julie; Crosson, Holly (2004)
Other Potamogeton crispus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.