Common names: curly-leaved pondweed; curled pondweed; curly pondweed
Potamogeton crispus (curlyleaf pondweed) is an aquatic perennial (family Potamogetonaceae). The genus Potamogeton contains many widespread, variable species that are difficult to tell apart. Potamogeton species are important for wildlife, but they can become problems in managed aquatic systems such as irrigation canals. All species of Potamogeton are native to California except P. crispus. There is no evidence that curlyleaf pondweed hybridizes with native Potamogeton species, particularly since it primarily reproduces vegetatively.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Invasive species management in Lake Tahoe. Cartwright, Nicole; Johnson, Doug. Vol 26, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Early detection and rapid response: effective weed control at the landscape level. Farrell, Sharon; Patterson, Jesse; Kesel, Rachel; Brigham, Christy; Gregory, Nathan; Gardner, Leah (2020)
- Aquatic working group. Anderson, Lars; Zaremba, Katy; Owen, Julie; Crosson, Holly (2004)
Other Potamogeton crispus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.