Synonyms: Agrostis alopecuroides Lam., Alopecurus aristatus var. monspeliensis (L.) Huds., Alopecurus monspeliensis L., Phleum crinitum Schreb., Phleum monspeliense Koel., Polypogon crinitus (Schreb.) Nutt., Polypogon flavescens J. Presl, Santia monspeliensis (L.) Parl.
Common names: rabbitsfoot grass; annual beardgrass; rabbitfootgrass; tawny beardgrass
Polypogon monspeliensis and subspp. (rabbit footpolypogon, annual beardgrass) is a winter or summer annual grass (family Poaceae) that can form dense stands in some areas of California. It is common in moist to wet areas.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Invasive annual grasses in a coastal dune ecosystem. Clifford, Patti; Pickart, Andrea J.; Tatum, Ellen; Wear, Kyle (2005)
- The ecology of Parentucellia viscosa in dune wetlands. Pickart, Andrea J.; Wear, Kyle S. (1999)
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
- Exotics in the southern California vernal pool ecosystem. Bauder, Ellen T. (1996)
- Native and exotic species interactions in southern California salt marsh: Salicornia virginica and Polypogon monspeliensis. Callaway, John; Zedler, Joyce (1996)
Other Polypogon monspeliensis Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.