Synonyms: Phalaris commutata, Phalaris stenoptera, Phalaris tuberosa
Common names: harding grass; bulbous canarygrass; phalaris; toowoomba grass
Phalaris aquatica (hardinggrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) found throughout California. Hardinggrass is widespread in California because it has been used as a forage species and for revegetating after fires. It is most common in coastal valley and foothill grasslands from Oregon to the Mexican border. It is also found in the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys at elevations below 4,000 feet (1,200 m). Hardinggrass is typically found along roadsides that are seldom mowed, allowing this tall, erect, leafy plant to dominate neighboring vegetation. In wildland habitats, hardinggrass can out-compete and displace native plant species. Tall stands of its dry foliage can present a fire hazard in summer.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Prescribed grazing for invasive plant control on rangelands. Davy, Josh; Tate, Kenneth; Roche, Leslie. Vol 21, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Controlling Harding grass (Phalaris aquatica) in a grassland setting _ an interim report. Samuels, Stassia; Julian, Laura S. (2012)
- Control of Phalaris aquatica on lowland coastal terrace prairie in Richmond, CA. Stafford, Monica; Farrell, Sharon; Beyer, Claire (2006)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- Out of the frying pan: Invasion of exotic perennial grasses in coastal prairies. Corbin, Jeffrey D.; Thomsen, Meredith; Alexander, Janice; D_Antonio, Carla M. (2004)
- Annual grasses: Status of biology and control. Antonio, Carla D_; Gerlach, John (2003)
- Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. Thomsen, Craig D.; Williams, William A.; Vayssieres, Marc P. (1996)
Other Phalaris aquatica Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.