Common names: common velvet grass; Yorkshire fog
Holcus lanatus (common velvetgrass) is a tufted perennial grass (family Poaceae) that tolerates high levels of heavy metals in the soil and sulfur dioxide in the air. It establishes best in moist conditions and is a facultative wetland indicator.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Challenges and lessons learned in the Muir Beach wetland restoration project. LeBeau, Naomi (2020)
- Controlling the spread of velvet grass (Holcus lanatus) in California coastal prairies: the benefits and constraints of five management techniques. Cooper, Michelle; Olyarnik, Suzanne (2012)
- Herbicide control of velvet grass in Yosemite National Park. Hutten, Martin; Jones, Laura; Dickman, Garret; Nelson, Caroline (2010)
- Variable responses of a California grassland to the reintroduction of tule elk. Johnson, Brent (2010)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- Out of the frying pan: Invasion of exotic perennial grasses in coastal prairies. Corbin, Jeffrey D.; Thomsen, Meredith; Alexander, Janice; D_Antonio, Carla M. (2004)
- Annual grasses: Status of biology and control. D'Antonio, Carla; Gerlach, John (2003)
Other Holcus lanatus Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.