Synonyms: Brassica geniculata, Sinapsis geniculata, Sinapsis incana
Common names: short-pod mustard; Mediterranean mustard; summer mustard; Greek mustard
Hirschfeldia incana (shortpod mustard, summer mustard) is a biennial or short-lived perennial forb (family Brassicaceae) that is becoming an increasing problem in wildlands of southern California. It occurs in coastal scrub and grasslands.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Invasive plants research at UC Riverside. Holt, Jodie S.. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Federally listed species vs. mustard. Kitz, Jo. Vol 08, Issue 1
- Control of exotic plants in an herbaceous understory. Perala, Christine; Hoover, Doris A.; Parra-Szijj, E.A.. Vol 01, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Control of invasive plants after the Scorpion Fire on Santa Cruz Island. Woolsey, Jay; Parker, Mike; Carter, Katy; Little, Annie; Cowan, Clark (2022)
- The role of fire in managing invasive species at the Santa Rose Plateau Ecological Reserve. Laskey, Hailey; Principe, Zach (2022)
- Mapping weeds and rare plants to inform management and conservation in the Zaca and Jesusita fires. Calloway, Stephanie; Schneider, Heather; Knapp, Denise (2018)
- Evidence that plant-associated methylotrophic bacteria aid in grassland and coastal sage scrub restoration. Irvine, Irina; Witter, Marti; Brigham, Christy; Martiny, Jennifer B.H.; Suding, Katharine (2009)
- Does horse manure harbor invasive plants? Quinn, Lauren; Davis, Bonnie; Kolipinski, Mietek; Ghosh, Sibdas (2006)
- Blurring edges: A test of weed control methods used along edges of sage scrub patches to encourage shrub colonization into abandoned agricultural fields. Maher, Eliza; Stanton, Edward (2005)
- Phenology of Brassica tournefortii in comparison to B. nigra, B. geniculata, and native Mojave Desert annuals. Marushia, Robin; Holt, Jodie (2005)
- California’s fading wildflower legacy. Minnich, Richard A. (2004)
- The effects of fire frequency and firebreaks on the abundance and species richness of exotic plant species in coastal sage scrub. Giessow, Jason; Zedler, Paul (1996)
- Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. Minnich, Richard A. (1994)
Other Hirschfeldia incana Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.