Common names: carnation spurge; Geraldton carnationweed
Euphorbia terracina (carnation spurge) is a perennial or biennial species(family Euphorbiaceae) found on California’s south coast. Carnation spurge forms dense patches in disturbed grasslands, coastal bluffs, dunes, salt marshes, riparian areas and oak woodlands. Although carnation spurge was recently introduced to California and is not yet widely distributed, it has the potential to spread rapidly. Like many other members of the spurge family, it produces toxic sap, and has allelopathic properties that reduce germination of native plants.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Dangerous and invasive Euphorbias in California. Case, Bob. Vol 18, Issue 4
- High school students take on carnation spurge. Brigham, Christy. Vol 13, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Euphorbia terracina Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.