Common names: Brazilian Egeria; Egeria
Egeria densa (Brazilian Egeria) is a common aquatic perennial (family Hydrocharitaceae) that occurs in lakes, springs, ponds, and streams. Its underwater growth significantly retards water flow and decreases the abundance and diversity of native plant seeds in lake bottoms. It was introduced as a freshwater aquarium plant.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 22, Issue 2
- The cost of weeds to California. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 17, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Managing Egeria densa and other invasive aquatic plants as part of the Delta Smelt Resiliency Strategy. Rasmussen, Nick; Green, Heather; Khanna, Shruti; Caudill, Jeffrey; Ateljevich, Eli; Conrad, Louise (2017)
- Utilizing differential quantitative mapping technologies and traditional botanical knowledge to assist Brazilian waterweed management in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta: An example from Frank_s Tract. Ruch, Scott; Shanayda, Kurt; California Dept. of Boating and Waterways Aquatic Weed Unit, (2006)
- Water gardening: Pathway to paradise or plant invasion? Crosson, Holly A. (2004)
- Aquatic weeds: Policy, prevention, and control. Anderson, Lars (2003)
Other Egeria densa Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.