Synonyms: Mesembryanthemum elongatum
Common names: narrowleaf iceplant; false iceplant; conicosia
Conicosia pugioniformis (narrowleaf iceplant) is a succulent perennial (family Aizoaceae) found on dunes, beaches, scrub and grassland along the central coast of California, especially in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. Narrowleaf iceplant does not form mats like other invasive iceplants (i.e., Carpobrotus edulis or C. chilensis) so its impacts are less severe. However, it can become locally abundant and crowd out native plants, especially in dune habitats. Narrowleaf iceplant reproduces by seed, and buried root crowns can resprout after aboveground plant matter has been removed.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Conicosia pugioniformis Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.