Synonyms: Acosta diffusa (Lam.) Sojak
Common names: diffuse knapweed
Centaurea diffusa (diffuse knapweed) is usually a biennial plant (family Asteraceae) that forms dense infestations. Seeds disperse when stems break off and tumble in the wind. Diffuse knapweed is not very common in California, but is one of the most invasive species in many other western states.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Eradication in the central Sierra. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Progress in the Sierra and beyond. Cal-IPC. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- “Dip-and clip”: A new treatment for herbaceous weeds. Erskine Ogden, Jennifer A.; Renz, Mark; Donaldson, Sue. Vol 14, Issue 4
- Fighting weeds in the Tahoe basin. Donaldson, Sue. Vol 11, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Regional EDRR with Bay Area WMAs. Johnson, Doug; Valentine, Nicole (2022)
Other Centaurea diffusa Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.