Synonyms: Vella annua
Common names: Ward's weed
Carrichtera annua (Ward’s weed) is an annual herb (family Brassicaceae ) with white to yellow flowers and hairy lobed leaves found in the south coast ranges of California. It is native to the Mediterranean and southwestern Asia. It favors grasslands and scrub and chaparral habitat. It reproduces by seed only. Seeds are dispersed by foraging animals, vehicles, agricultural activities and humans.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
CDFA Rating: A
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- 2019 Weed Alerts. Burger, Jutta; Price, Bob (2019)
- Challenges and success of ten years managing the highly invasive Ward’s weed (Carrichtera annua) in Carlsbad, San Diego County. Godfrey, Sarah (2019)
Other Carrichtera annua Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.