Common names: slender false-brome; false-brome
Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false-brome) is a perennial bunchgrass (family Poaceae) whose known distribution in California is currently limited to portions of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Perennial false-brome was introduced to Oregon in 1930, where it spread rapidly in forests and upland prairies, especially along roadsides and trails. It forms a dense cover that may suppress forest regeneration, degrade wildlife habitat, and increase fire risks. In California it has invaded redwood groves, and there is concern that it could damage this limited habitat type.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- CDFA expands noxious weed list and revises process. Kelch, Dean. Vol 23, Issue 2
- Waipuna(TM) not? Hot foam good for more than lattes. Tu, Mandy. Vol 12, Issue 3
- Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false brome). Johnson, Jim. Vol 11, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Show me the money! Developing a reimbursement program with the private sector. Gartside, Ellen; Roessler, Cindy (2009)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For…. Tu, Mandy; Randall, John M. (2003)
Other Brachypodium sylvaticum Information
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.