Common names: slender false-brome; false-brome
Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false-brome) is a perennial bunchgrass (family Poaceae) whose known distribution in California is currently limited to portions of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Perennial false-brome was introduced to Oregon in 1930, where it spread rapidly in forests and upland prairies, especially along roadsides and trails. It forms a dense cover that may suppress forest regeneration, degrade wildlife habitat, and increase fire risks. In California it has invaded redwood groves, and there is concern that it could damage this limited habitat type.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert?
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Waipuna(TM) not? Hot foam good for more than lattes. Tu, Mandy. Vol 12, Issue 3
- Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false brome). Johnson, Jim. Vol 11, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Nonherbicidal measures of control for slender false brome (Brachypodium sylvaticum), an invasive perennial grass. Matzek, Virginia; Sifuentes-Winter, Coty (2020)
- Show me the money! Developing a reimbursement program with the private sector. Gartside, Ellen; Roessler, Cindy (2009)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For…. Tu, Mandy; Randall, John M. (2003)
Other Brachypodium sylvaticum Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.