Synonyms: Asphodelus tenuifolius Cav.
Common names: onion weed; asphodel; hollow stemmed asphodel; wild onion
Asphodelus fistulosus (onionweed) is an annual/perennial herb (family Liliaceae) found in dry, sandy and rocky places, as well as pastures, roadsides and waste places. Livestock avoid eating it, allowing it to create dense stands that crowd out more desirable forage species in pastures. It is primarily found along coastal regions of southern California.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert?
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- CDFA expands noxious weed list and revises process. Kelch, Dean. Vol 23, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- 2004 Cal-IPC Red Alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out for…. DiTomaso, Joseph M. (2004)
Other Asphodelus fistulosus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.