Synonyms: Eupatorium adenophorum, E. glandulosum, E. pasadense.
Common names: eupatory, croftonweed, thoroughwort, sticky snakeroot, catweed, hemp agrimony, sticky agrimony, sticky Eupatorium
Ageratina adenophora (croftonweed, Eupatorium) is a perennial herb or small shrub (family Asteraceae) found along the coast of California and in the South Coast and Transverse Ranges. It prefers disturbed areas, coastal canyons, riparian areas and scrub, and is especially invasive in mild coastal areas. Originally introduced to California as an ornamental plant, croftonweed escaped cultivation by producing abundant seed that is dispersed via wind, water, soil movement, and by clinging to animals and people. This invasive plant is considered noxious in parts of Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: B?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. editor. Vol 17, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Mapping weeds and rare plants to inform management and conservation in the Zaca and Jesusita fires. Calloway, Stephanie; Schneider, Heather; Knapp, Denise (2018)
- New tools for Thoroughwort management. Gunnison, Elliot (2018)
Other Ageratina adenophora Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.