Common names: cootamundra wattle
Acacia baileyana (cootamunda wattle) is a shrub (family Fabaceae) with yellow flowers and finely dissected leaves found in the coastal ranges, San Francisco Bay area and transverse ranges of California. It is native to Southeastern Australia. It favors scrub and chaparral habitat. It has long-lived seeds that accumulate in the soil and germinate after fires, hot weather or other disturbances. It spreads via ants, wind, water and dumped garden waste.
View the Jepson Herbarium video to help identify Acacia species.
Cal-IPC Rating: Watch
Plant Risk Assessment
Plant Risk Assessment- An evaluation of the potential for a plant to be invasive in California.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- The role of soil bacterial mutualisms in legume invasion in California. Klock, Metha; Harms, Kyle; Thrall, Peter; Barrett, Luke (2020)
Other Acacia baileyana Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- The Plant List - Global taxonomic resource and collaborative clearinghouse from Kew Gardens, the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Missouri Botanic Garden and others.
- GBIF - Global distribution information.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.