Common names: rough cat's-ear; false dandelion
Hypochaeris radicata (rough catsear, hairy dandelion) is an annual herb/forb (family Asteraceae) and a weed of lawns, pastures, and waste areas. The seeds are wind blown and can rapidly invade disturbed areas.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Giessow, J. and P. Zedler (1996). The effects of fire frequency and firebreaks on the abundance and species richness of exotic plant species in coastal sage scrub. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
Other Hypochaeris radicata Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.