Synonyms: H. marinum ssp. gussoneanum, H. geniculatum, H. gussoneanum. H. hystrix, Critesion geniculatum, C. hystrix, C. marinum
Common names: Mediterranean barley; seaside barley
Hordeum marinum (Mediterranean barley) is an annual grass (family Poaceae). Mediterranean barley is widespread in annual grasses and occupies slightly wetter habitats than Horedum murinum (Hare barley).Rating: Moderate
- Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
- USDA PLANTS database -
Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- and Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Devender, T. R. V., R. S. Frlger, et al. (1997). Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '97. Concord, CA.
- Quinn, L., B. Davis, et al. (2006). Does horse manure harbor invasive plants? Cal-IPC Symposium. Rohnert Park, CA.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- None for this species.