Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Iris_pseudacorus.php
Iris pseudacorus (yellowflag iris)
Iris pseudacorus (yellowflag iris) (family Iridaceae) invades wetlands and meadows along coastal California and some inland counties. Iris pseudacorus is a fast-growing and rapidly-spreading invasive plant that can out-compete other wetland plants, forming almost impenetrable thickets, in much the same way as cattails do.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Iris pseudacorus
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Iris pseudacorus
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Iris pseudacorus.
- California distribution map - Maps based on survey data from county Weed Management Areas. These maps are the product of those working in the field and are not intended to be definitive.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2005). Don't sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Cal-IPC News. 13: 4-5,14.
- Kelly, M. (1999). Roundup of Arundo projects reveals commitment, strategic weakness. CalEPPC News. 7: 4-9.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2004). Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Iris pseudacorus
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.