Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Holcus_lanatus.php
Holcus lanatus (common velvet grass)
Holcus lanatus (common velvetgrass) is a tufted perennial grass (family Poaceae) that tolerates high levels of heavy metals in the soil and sulfur dioxide in the air. It establishes best in moist conditions and is a facultative wetland indicator.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Holcus lanatus
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Holcus lanatus.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Holcus lanatus.
- Weed Worker's Handbook (pdf) - Includes reproduction factors and treatment options.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Young, S. L. (2002). Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. CalEPPC News. 10: 5-7.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Thiel, R., E. Degenstein, et al. (2011). Evaluation of control techniques for velvetgrass (Holcus lanatus) in the Kern Canyon of Sequoia National Park.
- Hutten, M., L. Jones, et al. (2010). Herbicide control of velvet grass in Yosemite National Park. Cal-IPC 2010 Symposium. Ventura, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Johnson, B. (2010). Variable responses of a California grassland to the reintroduction of tule elk. Cal-IPC 2010 Symposium. Ventura, CA, California Invasive Plant Council
- Corbin, J. D., M. Thomsen, et al. (2004). Out of the frying pan: Invasion of exotic perennial grasses in coastal prairies. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Antonio, C. D. and J. Gerlach (2003). Annual grasses: Status of biology and control. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Shoulders, C. (2001). Successful removal of cape ivy and recovery of riparian vegetation on two acres along Redwood Creek, Marin County: Changes in cover three years after removal. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium 2001. San Diego, CA.
- Cooper, V. K. and B. J. Moritsch (1999). Weeding the wilderness: Non-native plant management at Point Reyes National Seashore. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '99. Sacramento, CA.
Other Resources on Holcus lanatus
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.