Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Hirschfeldia_incana.php
Hirschfeldia incana (shortpod mustard, summer mustard)
Hirschfeldia incana (shortpod mustard, summer mustard) is a biennial or short-lived perennial forb (family Brassicaceae) that is becoming an increasing problem in wildlands of southern California. It occurs in coastal scrub and grasslands.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Hirschfeldia incana
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Hirschfeldia incana.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Hirschfeldia incana.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Kitz, J. (2000). Federally listed species vs. mustard. CalEPPC News. 8: 12.
- Perala, C., D. A. Hoover, et al. (1993). Control of exotic plants in an herbaceous understory. CalEPPC News. 1: 4-6.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Irvine, I., M. Witter, et al. (2009). Evidence that plant-associated methylotrophic bacteria aid in grassland and coastal sage scrub restoration. Cal-IPC Symposium 2009. Visalia, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Archbald, G. (1998). Mechanical control methods: beyond weed bashing. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '98. Ontario, CA.
- Giessow, J. and P. Zedler (1996). The effects of fire frequency and firebreaks on the abundance and species richness of exotic plant species in coastal sage scrub. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
- Quinn, L., B. Davis, et al. (2006). Does horse manure harbor invasive plants? Cal-IPC Symposium. Rohnert Park, CA.
Other Resources on Hirschfeldia incana
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.