Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Hedera_helix.php
Hedera spp. (English and Algerian ivy)
Hedera spp. (Hedera helix = English ivy, Hedera canariensis = Algerian ivy) are perennials (family Araliaceae) that grow as evergreen woody vines. Both plants are found throughout Calfiornia along the coast, as well as in Shasta and Butte Counties. Hedera spp. grows vigorously in forests where nothing else seems able to compete and inhibits regeneration of understory plants, including forest wildflowers and new trees and shrubs.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: High
Cal-IPC Resources on Hedera spp.
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Hedera helix and H. canariensis.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Hedera helix and H. canariensis.
- Weed Worker's Handbook (pdf) - Includes reproduction factors and treatment options.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- (1994). Exotic pest plants of greatest ecological concern in California September 1994. CalEPPC News. 2: 10.
- (1999). Richmond weed abatement ordinance. CalEPPC News. 7: 10.
- (2006). Recommended action on invasive ornamentals. Cal-IPC News. 14: 10.
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2005). Don't sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Cal-IPC News. 13: 4-5,14.
- Wheeler, J. (2000). BLM uses heavy equipment to give weeds the heave-ho! CalEPPC News. 8: 14.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Alvarez, M., C. Colson, et al. (2008). Results from the use of a novel method, HydroMechanical Obliteration, at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in west Marin. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2008. Chico, CA, California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2008.
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2004). Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Pickart, A. (2003). A decade of dune restoration at the Lanphere Dunes. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Williams, A. (2004). English ivy removal at Redwood National and State Parks. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Hedera spp.
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Element Stewardship Abstract - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.