Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Egeria_densa.php
Egeria densa (Brazilian egeria)
Egeria densa (Brazilian egeria) is a common aquatic perennial (family Hydrocharitaceae) that occurs in lakes, springs, ponds, and streams. Its underwater growth significantly retards water flow and decreases reduces the abundance and diversity of native plant seeds in lake bottoms. It was introduced as a freshwater aquarium plant.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: High
Cal-IPC Resources on Egeria densa
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. (None for this species.)
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Egeria densa
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Alternatives to invasive plants for aquatic gardens.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Brusati, E. (2009). The cost of weeds to California. Cal-IPC News. 17: 6,7,13.
- Santos, M. J., L. W. Anderson, et al. (2008). Spatial patterns in native and exotic submersed aquatic plant species in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2008. Chico, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Anderson, L. (2003). Aquatic weeds: Policy, prevention, and control. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, California, CA.
- Crosson, H. A. (2004). Water gardening: Pathway to paradise or plant invasion? California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Ruch, S., K. Shanayda, et al. (2006). Utilizing differential quantitative mapping technologies and traditional botanical knowledge to assist Brazilian waterweed management in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta: An example from Frank?s Tract. Cal-IPC Symposium. Rohnert Park, CA.
Other Resources on Egeria densa
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Element Stewardship Abstract -Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- Encycloweedia - Plants rated as noxious weeds by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.
- California Department of Boating and Waterways - Facts on Egeria densa and other aquatic pests.