Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Conicosia_pugioniformis.php
Conicosia pugioniformis (narrowleaf iceplant)
Conicosia pugioniformis (narrowleaf iceplant) is a succulent perennial (family Aizoaceae) found on dunes, beaches, scrub and grassland along the central coast of California, especially in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. Narrowleaf iceplant does not form mats like other invasive iceplants (i.e., Carpobrotus edulis or C. chilensis) so its impacts are less severe. However, it can become locally abundant and crowd out native plants, especially in dune habitats. Narrowleaf iceplant reproduces by seed, and buried root crowns can resprout after aboveground plant matter has been removed.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Conicosia pugioniformis
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Conicosia pugioniformis.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. (None for this species.)
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- (1993). California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC News. 1: 6.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- None for this species.
Other Resources on Conicosia pugioniformis
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.