Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Brachypodium_sylvaticum.php
Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false-brome)
Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false-brome) is a perennial bunchgrass (family Poaceae) whose known distribution in California is currently limited to portions of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Perennial false-brome was introduced to Oregon in 1930, where it spread rapidly in forests and upland prairies, especially along roadsides and trails. It forms a dense cover that may suppress forest regeneration, degrade wildlife habitat, and increase fire risks. In California it has invaded redwood groves, and there is concern that it could damage this limited habitat type.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate - Alert
Cal-IPC Resources on Brachypodium sylvaticum
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Brachypodium sylvaticumm Alert - Report sightings of this plant in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. List of articles on Brachypodium sylvaticum.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Brachypodium sylvaticum.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Johnson, J. (2004). Brachypodium sylvaticum (slender false brome). Cal-IPC News. 11: 10-11.
- Tu, M.(2004). Waipuna(TM) not? Hot foam good for more than lattes. Cal-IPC News. 12: 6-7. Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2003 Cal-IPC Red Alert!
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Gartside, E. and C. Roessler (2009). Show me the money! Developing a reimbursement program with the private sector. Cal-IPC Symposium 2009. Visalia, CA, Cal-IPC.
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, California, CA.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
Other Resources on Brachypodium sylvaticum
- False Brome Working Group - The false brome working group is dedicated to education and outreach, developing control measures, and identifying research needs for false brome in North America.
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.